Thursday, May 10, 2012

It all fades to black and white



Some things have the incredible power to toss you up in the air, turn you from rage to sadness and back to rage again in a matter of minutes. This happens almost instinctively often when I confront race or even race issues. This brilliant piece of TV took me on an emotional ride I often try hard to suppress. Confronting the realities of the state of  (South Africa) my home country is always an emotional experience filled with questions and very complex answers that linger in my mind and weigh heavy on my soul.


Often, I’m accused of being too obsessed with race. "Not everything is Black and White, Nolundi". Somehow people find it hard to relate social reality with race and|or race relations. It seems it is always some horror of the past somewhere else, never here. Yet where i come from and in places that hide it, it permeates every aspect of social reality and too often and painfully a lot of it determines the destiny for a black boy and girl.

To the writers, producers and the makers of the episode, Salute.

No comments:

Post a Comment